Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 1998 23:23:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      "D. Rock" <rock@wurzelausix.CS.Uni-SB.DE>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ALI Aladdin V and 2nd IDE channel

>>I have an Aladdin V chipset and the 2nd IDE channel is only detected if
>>I insert
>>options		DISABLE_PCI_IDE
>>in my kernel config file. This option is nowhere documented but only with
>>this option enabled my secondary IDE channel and its CDROM drive is detected
>>properly. I didn't notice any performance degradation on the 1st IDE channel.
>>(I get 11 MB/s with only 5% CPU usage)
>>
>>What does this option do exactly?
>
>I think it just bypasses broken unit number handling.  See a recent PR.
>Patches for this have been floating around for more than a year, but are
>said to be broken in different ways.
>
>11 MB/s takes at least 11/16.6*100% CPU in PIO mode.  Reports of 5%
>mean that the CPU meter is broken.  The CPU meter in `systat -vmstat'
>should work.
This was the output from systat -v! The CPU meter showed up 95%
idle time, so I think, it is still using DMA. The system was also too
responsive for PIO modes. To be sure I will do another test with an
CPU intensive job running at the same time, so the real idle time
(if it is measured incorrectly) should be scheduled to this process.

Daniel