Date:      Thu, 02 Mar 2006 22:01:40 -0500
From:      Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
To:        JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fresh install on gmirror'ed disks?

JoaoBR wrote:
> On Thursday 02 March 2006 22:59, Mike Jakubik wrote:
>
>> Thats what i figured. Its sad that the fbsd installer is so behind the
>> linux ones, in terms of setting up raid and lvm during install.
>>

> I'm sorry that such things make you sad but do you mind to explain why this is
> "behind" ?

Because most Linux distributions have had this feature for a while now.
It's no secret that our installer blows. It gets the job done for a
basic install, provided you know its quirks, and thats it.

> What would be the advantage to have raid as OS install option?
> Certainly such option confuse average users which probably do not know what
> raid is.

I think the advantage is clear. You don't have to waste time installing
the OS, then going through a complex procedure to setup RAID, and
reinstalling again, i think that would confuse average users more.
Besides, FreeBSD is a server operating system, and is not intended for
average users. If you don't know what RAID is, you shouldn't be in IT.