Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:25:32 -0800
From:      sp0ng3b0b <sp0ng3b0b@sbcglobal.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.3: panic page fault with nge driver

I am getting a page fault with a new install of FreeBSD 5.3 Release.
Something changed with the nge driver in FreeBSD 5.3. I did not have
this problem with 5.2.1. I just performed a clean install on a box that
had been running 5.2.1 RELEASE for a few months.

The box is an Instrusion Detection System. I have fiber taps in place on
the network and use the rx ports of the nic to monitor the traffic.

In 5.2.1, i would do this to bond ports and monitor them:

# ifconfig nge0 media 1000baseSX mediaopt full-duplex promisc -arp up
# ifconfig nge1 media 1000baseSX mediaopt full-duplex promisc -arp up
# ngctl mkpeer fec dummy fec
# ngctl msg fec0: add_iface '"nge0"'
# ngctl msg fec0: add_iface '"nge1"'
# ngctl msg fec0: set_mode_inet
# ifconfig fec0 promisc -arp up

However, when i set the media options for nge0, the machine panics and
dies. The panic message is hand typed below.

FreeBSD 5.3 RELEASE.
Intel Pentium 4 3.06GHz CPU
1GB RAM
80GB Maxtor HD
(1x) Intel 82801DB (ICH4) Pro/100 Ethernet
(6x) NetGear GA621 fiber 1GB NIC

fault virtual address	= 0x8
fault code		= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc055a002
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xe32a2c9c
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xe32a2cac
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def 2 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resuep, IOPL = 0
current process		= 27 (irq17: nge0)
trap number		= 12
panic: page fault