Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 2009 14:17:52 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        jhb@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Trimming the default /boot/device.hints

on 01/02/2009 06:26 M. Warner Losh said the following:
> hint.sc.0.at="isa"
> hint.sc.0.flags="0x100"
> I'm too chicken to remove the hint.sc.0 hints, but maybe they can go.

I've just tried this (7.1/i386) as those were the last hints, it turned
out to be not that scary :) I just didn't get the system console, i.e.
there were no kernel messages during boot and no system console at VT0
afterwards. VT0 became and stayed completely blank/black after loader
finished its job.
But the system successfully went into multi-user mode, getty-s and X
started normally.

OTOH, with this hint present I see the following in verbose dmesg:
sc: sc0 already exists; skipping it
sc0: <System console> at flags 0x100 on isa0
sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>
sc0: fb0, kbd1, terminal emulator: sc (syscons terminal)

A little bit puzzling.

And from the code in sys/isa/syscons_isa.c (scidentify) it seems that sc
needs not a hint to get attached. Puzzled again.

Let me try again with verbose dmesg that I can check once in multi-user.

--
Andriy Gapon