Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:53:15 +0100
From:      Keith Jones <keith@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problems booting FBSD with SCSI+IDE drives

I've recently installed FreeBSD on an existing Windows 95 box, set up
as follows:

	AsusTek P2L97 mainboard, PII 266MHz CPU, 64MB SDRAM
	Quantum Fireball 4.3GB UDMA HDD [primary master]
	Asus 34x IDE CDROM [secondary master]
	AsusTek PCI-SC875 SCSI controller
	Seagate 1.0GB SCSI-2 HDD [SCSI ID 0]
	Matrox Millennium II 4MB video card
	Creative Labs AWE64 soundcard

I installed FreeBSD on the SCSI-2 drive, with the BootEasy boot manager
installed on both the IDE and SCSI drives.

If I set the BIOS to boot from SCSI first, FreeBSD boots fine - it selects
'0:sd(0,a)' correctly and initialises the system with no problems; but
Windows 95 will not boot - selecting 'dos' from the boot manager gives the
error

	Invalid system disk or system failure
	Press any key to continue

(In other words, it can't work out what disk it should boot from.) This I
can cope with, since I don't expect Windows to be intelligent about booting
from some secondary device/controller.

However, if I set the BIOS to boot from IDE first, Windows 95 will boot
up okay from the FreeBSD boot manager, but FreeBSD does some strange things
when it attempts to boot up. Firstly, the default boot device is shown as

	1:sd(1,a)

despite the fact that I only have one SCSI device on my system. Surely this
should default to '1:sd(0,a)'?

If I attempt to boot FreeBSD from this spurious partition '1:sd(1,a)'
everything appears to work okay until the end of the device initialisation
(all the stuff in bold) when it gives the message

	changing root device to st1s1a
	panic: cannot mount root

which is rather odd, because I didn't configure st0 in my kernel, and there
is patently no such device as 'st1s1a'.

If I boot from '1:sd(0,a)' then the system will boot up correctly on the
correct device.

I've added this line to the file '/boot.config' which solves the problem
permanently - but is this a bug or merely a 'feature'?

Keith
--
v Keith Jones                 Systems Manager, Blueberry New Media Ltd. v
| Postal Mail: 2/10 Harbour Yard, Chelsea Harbour, LONDON, UK. SW10 0XD |