Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 2004 18:42:16 +0100
From:      "Jorn Argelo" <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
To:        Richard Cotrina <rcc@speedy.net.pe>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: *BSD is considered the safest OS

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 12:12:54 -0500 (PET), Richard Cotrina wrote
> Perhaps this is an old news, but it's interesting to post it to the list.
>
> A recent study made by MI2G, an UK company focused in data risk
> security, shows that *BSD and MacOS X were the less breached OS in a
> sample of more that 200K computers permanently connected to the internet.

I personally don't feel that any OS is safer then the other. It's just what
the administrator does. A Linux guru can't secure a Windows machine as good as
a Windows guru can, and vica versa.

One can say that a particular OS attracks more experienced administrators.
Perhaps. But again it's the administrator which is the crucial fact of an OS
being secure or not. It's rather easy to say that Windows is less secure then
Linux or BSD because there are more viruses/exploits for Window. Well, I think
that services like Sendmail and Apache can contain more exploits then Windows,
to be honest. Of course, I can't prove anything, but that's just my personal
feeling about it.

Cheers,

Jorn