Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:49:45 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>, Yoshinobu Inoue <shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp>, louie@TransSys.COM, committers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 12:55:06PM +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	More releases more often are better than indefinitely holding up
> releases waiting for just that one last thing to be finished.

Second that. And to follow on that...
FreeBSD 4.0 will become the new STABLE.
So 4.0 should become as stable as possible.
I think there are certainly many people running on FreeBSD 2.x and
3.x who wait for something like 4.0 to become a new stable release.
So we should get them the new STABLE toy !

In that short timeframe this can only be achieved by
not including too much new technology into it.
Otherwise we label something as STABLE which is in fact
something like a -current with respect to IP V6 and IPSec.

Additionally it gives developers and customers time to breath.

IP V6 and IPSec should be integrated into the new 5.0(?)-current.

With FreeBSD-4.0-RELEASE we will get a rapidly growing user
base for 4.0 and we'll certainly have enough to do to make
it really stable for everybody.

In the meantime people have their new testbed in 5.0-current.
If the dust has setteled in -current, I'd vote to merge
IP V6 and IPsec with as much client tools as possible into
something like 4.1-RELEASE.

4.0-STABLE I'd personally not touch with any brand new network
code. So people have a chance to remain some time on 4.0-RELEASE
or 4.0-STABLE.

Another possibility would be to wait until the dust settles
after merging IP V6 and IPsec into -current and release
FreeBSD 4.0 complete with that features at a later time (+1-2 months).
But that's probably not wanted...

What do you think of that ?!

	Andreas ///

--