Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 1996 22:18:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux

> I run a Linux system, a BSDI system (commercial BSD) and a FreeBSD system.
> I'm about to add an OSF/1 system to the menagerie.  I do sysadmin stuff on
> SunOS, Solaris, NCR Unix (SysV) and AIX (mangled SysV).  FreeBSD is -- for
> me -- the most comfortable and easy to maintain of the lot.  Your mileage
> may differ.  There are lots of happy Linux people out there, too.

I run AIX for a living now  -- having done VMS, some 4.x BSD, some HP-UX,
SunOS, Solaris, SVR0, SVR2, Perkin-Elmer/Concurrent Xelos, Masscomp/Concurrent
RTU UniPlus SysIII, UniPlus SysV, Coherent.

(As for AIX as mangled SysV -- I don't think it is -- it's OSF/1 based more
than SysV, but more SysV than BSD -- I think).

Anyone out there know the full lineage of AIX?

Bill

 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter  | 17 Meredith Drive, Tinton Falls, NJ 07724,
 908-389-3592                  | pechter@shell.monmouth.com
 I'll run Win96 on my box when you pry the keyboard from my cold, dead
 hands.  FreeBSD, OS/2, CP/M, RT11, spoken here.