Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 12:56:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF & putting inode at the front of a file

:On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Zhihui Zhang wrote:
:> I have modified FFS filesystem code to put the disk inode at the beginning
:> of a file, i.e, the logical block #0 of each file begins with 128 bytes of
:> its disk inode and the rest of it are file data.
:
:first question I have is, why?
:
:ron

    Good god, is he joking?  Offsetting the entire file by 128 bytes will
    break mmap() and make I/O extremely inefficient.

    Many filesystems over the years have mixed meta-data in the file data
    blocks on disk only to remove it later on when it was found to destroy
    performance.  A good example of this is the Amiga's filesystem.  The
    Amiga's old filesystem was emminently recoverable because each data
    block had a backpointer, but it was so inefficient due to all the copying
    required that the updated filesystem removed the metadata so disk blocks
    could be DMA'd directory into the buffer.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>