Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:18:19 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Sandra Kachelmann <s.kachelmann@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD i386 64bit?

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:56:06PM +0200, Sandra Kachelmann wrote:
> Coming from the Linux world I am pretty new to FreeBSD, please bare with me.
> I find the FreeBSD handbook pretty useful and I just managed to update
> 7.0-RELEASE to 7-STABLE from source. I have an Intel core4quad CPU and was
> wondering if I now have a 64bit FreeBSD. I am a bit confused because from
> /usr/src/sys/ I only see the directories amd64, ia64 and sparc64 with the
> number 64 in it.

FreeBSD i386 is 32-bit.  For 64-bit you will want the amd64 variant. (Yes,
it will work on Intel's 64-bit x86 CPUs as well.  It is called amd64 because
AMD defined the architecture and thus got to name it, and then Intel copied it.)

> Another question, is setting CPUTYPE advised or discouraged?

Generally discouraged.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson