Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 2008 21:21:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no
Subject:   Re: INET6 -- and why I don't use it

Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 >
 > > Why use dyndns.org?  Your IPv6 address isn't dynamic.
 >
 > You are correct, of course.
 > It shows that l I haven't got my head around the
 > whole ipv6 issue, right?

Well, if you've never worked with IPv6 before, it takes
a little time to get used to it.  It took me a little
time, too, and I certainly don't know everything about
IPV6 yet.

 > > My home ISP doesn't support native IPv6 yet (though they
 > > say they're working on it), but they host a SixXS node,
 > > so I registered with sixxs.org.  (Everybody can register
 > > with them, even if your ISP doesn't have its own node.)
 > > Once you have registered, you can request a tunnel, and
 > > then you can get a static /64 subnet assigned, including
 > > reverse DNS delegation.  Works fine for me.
 >
 > I wonder: does this tunnel thing work even if you have a dynamic ip on
 > the public side of your broadband modem / router?

Yes, it does.  In fact I _do_ have a dynamic IP (v4).

I have a normal DSL line at home, with a dynamic IPv4
address assigned by my ISP.  When I re-dial, I usually
get a different IPv4 address.

That doesn't affect the IPv6 tunnel at all, though.
My static v6 subnet is routed to me on my dynamic v4
address (using a gif(4) interface).  The sixxs.org
people provide a small utility (it's in the ports
collection, too) that sets up the tunnel and everything
automatically.  You only need to configure the address
of the sixxs node that you connect to (i.e. the other
end of your tunnel).

Of course, there are other ways to get IPv6 connectivity.
I chose sixxs.org because my ISP hosts one of their
nodes, so connectivity is very good.

If you're lucky, your ISP provides native IPv6.  Only
few do right now, but the number is constantly growing.

 > I my case, my FreeBSD gateway and firewall sits behind the broadband
 > router, and have private ip's on both interaces (internal and external).
 > Do I need a public ip on my gateway in order to use a tunnel?

In my case, my FreeBSD gateway and firewall _is_ my DSL
router.  I don't have an external router box, only the
DSL modem.  Well, maybe the DSL modem could be used as
a router, I don't know, for me it's working as a modem
only.  My FreeBSD gateway machine has a public, dynamic
IP address.

I think in your situation there would be two options:
First, disable the routing and NAT functionality on your
DSL box, and do the routing/NAT on your FreeBSD machine,
if possible (like I do).

The second option would be to use a protocol called AYIYA
which can be used to establish a tunnel even behind one
or multiple NAT routers.  This is supported by SixXs:
http://www.sixxs.net/tools/ayiya/

Basically, everyone can have IPv6 connectivity.  There is
no excuse.  ;-)

Best regards
   Oliver

"The most important decision in [programming] language design
concerns what is to be left out."  --  Niklaus Wirth