Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2001 14:59:45 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        "A. L. Meyers" <a.l.meyers@consult-meyers.com>
Cc:        Robert Banniza <robert@rootprompt.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JFS

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 11:14:17PM +0200, A. L. Meyers wrote:
> Which is not at all stating or implying that UFS is not a very
> good FS. But what Robert says is simply a statement of fact.
> Experiencing one-on how quickly a JFS (e. g. Reiser) recovers
> is really impressive.

Well, my $0.02US...

I've got something like 10 years experience in commercial environments
with the Veritas file system (and that of it's predecessor company
Tolerant Systems).  I agree that fast recovery is spiffy, and on an
OLTP system where every second of down time is =real= money lost it's
worth the cost.

And VXFS has some other neat tricks, such as snapshots and
block-level incremental backups and the ability to grow and shrink a
running file system.  And, some special tricks for the case you're
running a database in cooked space.  And... (you get the idea).

But the journal itself is no magic bullet.  It costs performance on
anything that changes meta data.  It can hurt you if you tune it
incorrectly.

I think the way Kirk is headed with soft updates, plus background
fsck is just as good, perhaps better.

So, summary:  If you need the bells and whistles that more complex
filesystems provide, then by all means use them.  But if you're just
trying to avoid the fsck wait time at boot-up, I don't think it's
worth the complexity and administration time to go with something
newer and less bullet-proof than what we're using now.

[[Of course, we =are= still waiting for a good release of the
background fsck...]]

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com