Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 12:50:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Diehl <joed@engg.ksu.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: xconsole problems

There have been a couple of question posted resently regarding
problems with xconsole not being able to open the console...
Regretfully, I no longer have the orginal messages anywhere, so
I am unable to simply reply to it...

I also had this problem, but located the problem in my .xsession file...
My problem was that I was loading an xterm with a switch to capture
console messages ('xterm -C').  As soon as I removed the '-C' switch,
xconsole was able to run just fine.  Check your .xsession (or .xinitrc,
as the case may be) for any programs besides xconsole who wants the
console messages.

BTW- As a side note, I also had to add 'chown root /dev/console' to
my rc file... I would login as standard user (causing /dev/console
to be owned by that user), suing to root, and rebooting.  When XDM
came up, after the reboot, I had no keyboard (I waited about 5 days once)...
The cause was that root didn't own /dev/console.

I am running a brand new install of FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE...

---
Joe Diehl <joed@engg.ksu.edu>
Engineering Computing Center
Kansas State University