Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 1996 07:31:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
To:        Ben Wern <bwern@jaxnet.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Telnet Misconfigured?

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Ben Wern wrote:

> Greetings.
>

> What is happening, is telnets into this machine are connecting, but are not
> alowing me to login. Usually, this is manifest by two identification lines,
> followed by two login: prompts. However, before you can attempt to login, it
> disconnects. Occasionally, it tells me that login_tty is denied.

What about ftp? rlogin?
If your getting 'denied', then I'd take a quick look in /etc/login.access.

> The termcap and the gettytab files are as they came installed from the 2.1R
> disc. The ttys file reads:
>
> ttyp0   "usr/libexec/getty std.9600"    vt50    on      insecure

My /etc/ttys file has the following:
# pseudo terminals
ttyp0	none		network

With that /etc/ttys setting, I've been able to get in to my system from
both service providers I keep around while on ppp.

> Any thoughts? I promise to document it this time. :)
>

> Thanks a ton,
>
> Ben
>
>  bwern@jaxnet.com or bwern@unf.edu
>     Try New and Improved Jello: V 2.0
> "I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think
>    I have ended up where I intended to be."

Barry Masterson
jbarrm@panix.com
  FreeBSD     2.1.0