Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 96 13:31 WET
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: A few NITS about SCSI Tapes

[0]1) Using an ExaByte 8200 on a 2.1 system with an  Adaptec 1522A and
[0]a 1542CF SCSI Card -
[0]
[0]The dump application exits with the error
[0]		"st1: bad request, must be between 0 and 0"

Oh I am *SO* glad to see this!  So I am not the only one who has seen
this message!  I got this with dump also, and it would magically go away
if I issued a "mt rewind" TWICE and then re-ran the dump (same tape).
This was on a WangDAT 4MM tape system with a 1542C controller.
The 1542C had the latest ROM code and this was under 2.1.0.

[0]b) After a dump I always need to execute "mt -f /dev/st0 offline"
[0]in order to eject the tape. I am unable to eject the tape using the eject
[0]button.

I have been told "we did that on purpose(TM)" when I complained about it
a month or two ago.  This is unfortunate, because on the WangDAT, the "drive
locked" and "activity light" are one and the same.  So unlike SCO where the
light would blink indicating activity, in FreeBSD the light goes on at the
first access and stays on until I do the offline command.   The reasoning
for why this was done this way was so that no one would be able to walk up
and eject the tape.  OK, but now I have authorized people walk up and issue
the offline command thinking the unit isn't in use when it was.  No
improvement in this secure computer room.
I'd prefer the status light.  Perhaps a "non-locking" dev is the answer?
That is what I provided for the Matsushita CD-ROM drives.

As to the "must be between 0 and 0", there is a bug somewhere, probably
in accepting density 0 as a hardware default.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"The Knights who say "LETNi"
or uhclem%nemesis@rwsystr.nkn.net           | demand...  A SEGMENT REGISTER!!!"
	  ^------(this is the fastest route)|"A what?"
or ...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem	    |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!"  - 1983