Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 1996 12:29:05 -0500
From:      "Rodney C. Forbes" <urcf@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   a couple questions regarding a CDROM changer.

I installed a Nakamichi 7 disk CD-ROM changer last night to my
FreeBSD-2.1.0-RELEASE system.  I had to add the following two blocks to
scsiconf.c.  Maybe some kind soul would commit them so that any future
owners of this device won't have to figure it out..

        /* Nakamichi 7 disk CD-ROM changer */
        {
                T_READONLY, T_REMOV, "NRC", "MBR-7" ,"*",
                "cd", SC_MORE_LUS
        },

        /* Nakamichi 7 disk CD-ROM changer */
        {
                T_READONLY, T_REMOV, "NRC", "MBR-7"
                    ,"any", "cd", SC_MORE_LUS
        },

Now for my questions...

1. Why wasn't this the other way around?  I mean wouldn't it make more sense
	to keep a list of devices that misbehaved.

2. Do I need to change anything else in the kernel?  I mean like a timeout
	value or something.  Here's what is happening: I run a script after
	rc.local to probe for any available CD-ROM's in known CD-ROM devices
	and mount them.  I booted with two CD-ROM's in the changer (at cd0 and
	cd1) and one in mcd0.  The script should have found them all, but only
	mounted the one's at cd0 and mcd0.  I ran the script again, and it
	found the one at cd1.  My thought was that maybe it took too long to
	change trays.  Any suggestions.

3. How can I read the CD-ROM's label?  When mounted under DOS, all drives
	(including CD-ROM's) have labels.  For instance, the FreeBSD-2.1.0
	beta CD when mounted under dos says something like "FREEBSD-2.1.0".
	How can I get this info?

--
_   /|
\'o.O'  urcf@fang.cs.sunyit.edu (Rodney C. Forbes)