Date:      Sun, 7 Oct 2001 13:53:25 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Updating BIND 9

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Doug Barton wrote:

> 	The "right places" for a port are in /usr/local, which is what
> the port does. That said, having an option to install the bind ports
> in the base is often requested, and something I'm working on as time
> allows.

Yes, but I would say "most ports", not all of them. I can't see any reason
to run both BIND 8 (from the base system) and BIND 9 (from the ports
collection), on the same system.

Perhaps a /usr/ports/base-system-upgrades (clumsy name, I know) would be
an idea? That would be useful for upgrading e.g. BIND, Sendmail,
OpenSSH/SSL and so forth, if you wish.

--

Regards,

Juha