Date:      Thu, 04 Oct 2001 10:10:00 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        neil@darlow.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is INDEX being updated?

Neil Darlow wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just upgraded to RELENG_4_4 from RELENG_4_3 and found the
> pkg_version utility.
>
> I've been using this to track package versions since upgrading (after editing
> the script to reference the master INDEX file for ports-current).
>
> Concerned that new package versions didn't appear to be coming, I visited
> the ports section of the FreeBSD web site and found that some of my
> packages were several weeks out of date.
>
> Is the master INDEX file not being updated on a regular basis for some
> reason?

INDEX isn't being updated if you aren't cvsuping ports-all. Index is not
updated with each port change. If you set this up with a shell script,
you should also look into using portupgrade. It has a module called
portsdb that will update your index files. They suggest you run "portsdb
-uU" everytime you cvsup ports.

Kent

> Regards,
> Neil Darlow M.Sc.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA
mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Carl Sagan quote on Seti@home
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/pale_blue_dot.html

It is hard to believe you are soaring with Eagles (las águilas)
when you accept SPAM like a mouse (el ratón).