Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2007 19:23:43 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: Idea: static builds

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 06:18:08PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:

> >>   Static, built upon static, built upon static would be a bad thing to
> >>watch out for too I'd think...
> >>   Am I wrong?
> >>

> >	I would allow the shells to be built statically, and perhaps
> >	most or all of /bin.  Hm.  And a few other necessary utilities.
> >	Things-X aren't essentials.  But vi is.  ed still gives me
> >	nightmares![*]
> >
> >	Wasn't the reason for NON-static builds mostly to
> >	save-disc-space???  Whatever, having ports that build
> >	statically-- things that  won't bomb if libfoo.so.3 is
> >	missing-- having this seeems like the best idea in years!
> >	How much hacking to the Makefles is it?
> >
> >	gary
> >

> >>-Garrett
> >>

> >[*]  for the humor-impaired: Joke.
> >

>    None whatsoever really. I think it just involves making a few
> changes to /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf, if you want to make the
> modification just for yourself (I don't do that though, so I'm not sure.
> Just OTOH rememberances).

	pkgtools.conf?:: Save me!  I've onlytouched that to prevent
	things like OO.o from updating and stuff.  I'm pretty sure it's
	flexible enough to do just "zsh".... And vi, of course.

	I'll wait on this.  Would really appreciate others' feedback,
	tho.

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline@thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix