Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2001 19:17:30 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI devices settling and illegal request

> > > Modern server-class alphas (such as DS20, xp1000, AS4100, AS4000,
> > > AS1200, etc) may have totally separate PCI buses, with separate IO =
and
> > > memory spaces.  Like a normal bus, each of these can have ppbs to
> > > child busses, etc.  We call each collection of buses a hose.  This
> > > terminology comes from the SRM console.
> > =

> > Just FWIW, you will see this in the PC world as well at some point; I=
ntel =

> > call them "channels" (personally, I think "hose" is a much cooler nam=
e).
> =

> There's something I'm still not clear about.  I've been working lately
> with an x86 motherboard that has two separate PCI buses -- one 66 MHz
> bus and one 33 MHz bus.  What would be different if these were "hoses"
> or "channels"?  Is it that they would have separate address spaces?

Each "hose" is a scope container for the PCI resources, ie. bus numbers,
mapping addresses, etc.

On the x86 systems you're using, there are two busses, and they are =

separately bridged off the processor, but they share the same PCI bus =

numbering space, and there's only one address space.  If you had two =

channels, each channel would have its own PCI bus #0, and you could have =

a device on each channel with a mapping at 0xe4000000, without either =

conflicting.  (Typically each hose has a window and mappings are relative=
 =

to the base of that window.)

Hoses were one way of getting around the 4GB addressability limit with PC=
(amongst other things); 64-bit PCI and DAC (double address cycle) are
others that have more currency right now.

-- =

=2E.. every activity meets with opposition, everyone who acts has his