Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 03:56:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: URGENT (?) booting from CD on Atapi

=> => => A machine  with SCSI disks and  an ATAPI CD-ROM (no  IDE disks)
=> => => would not  boot from 3.3  CD if the  SCSI disks are  online. It
=> => => would say:  "Read Error"  on the  upper left  of the  screen --
=> => => where you'd normally see the  spinning dash. I suspect, this is
=> => => a loader's bug :(, which may make it to 3.4 ...
=> => =
=> => =  Don't see a problem with that  here. I just booted the 3.3-R CD
=> => =on an ATAPI CD ROM with  no other IDE devices, and everything was
=> => =fine.
[...]
=> Lucky you... Are the SCSI disks  otherwise bootable? Is the CD on the
=> primary or the secondary IDE channel?
=
=  The SCSI disk is bootable in that set in the BIOS to boot (I used "A:
=CD C:" boot order), but I don't think it has an OS on it.
=
=  You could  just have a  boot order issue. Maybe  the SCSI disk  has a
=screwed up boot sector, and SCSI disk is earlier in the boot order ("A:
=C: CD"), so it never gets to the CD.

Nope. If I  take the CD out  of the drive, the machine  will nicely boot
from the SCSI disk...

	-mi