Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 14:19:17 +0900
From:      Sean Bennett <sean@pasebo.nnet.ne.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What happened to my 'find'command, continued

Hi all;

I've yet to find an answer to this; its not on a mission
critical system, so if it comes down to it, I can re-install
FreeBSD, but I would prefer to discover the cause, and more
importantly, a fix, in case it does happen on a
mission-critical system someday.

Thanks to all who have posted/replied with suggestions; most
were centered around file permissions and running as root.
I am running as root, and the directories in question do
exist and are read/writable by root.

Ideas??? FreeBSD.org gurus???

The original message follows:
=============================

[running FreeBSD 2.2.6]

Hi all;

last week my 'find' command suddenly went on the fritz;

   find / -name <file> -print

used to work fine, searching my whole disk for the file in
question.  Now however, it immediately prints out a list of
50-60
lines like the following, yet can't find which I know does
exist.

sean# find / -name httpd -print
    *returns*
find: /usr/include/isofs: No such file or directory
find: /usr/include/machine: No such file or directory
find: /usr/include/msdosfs: No such file or directory
find: /usr/include/net: No such file or directory
find: /usr/include/netatalk: No such file or directory

    -OR-

sean# find . -name httpd -print
    *returns*
find: ./usr/include/isofs: No such file or directory
find: ./usr/include/machine: No such file or directory
find: ./usr/include/msdosfs: No such file or directory
find: ./usr/include/net: No such file or directory
find: ./usr/include/netatalk: No such file or directory

The directories, such as "/usr/include/isofs" do infact
exist.

Any ideas as to what's wrong, or what changed; these
commands
worked in the past.  I even ftp'd a new 'find' command from
working server, but get the same results.

TIA

Sean
sean@mail.nnet.ne.jp