Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 20:02:02 -0400
From:      Chris Pepper <pepper@mail.reppep.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ipfw.8

	I've been reading about ipfw (included with Mac OS X), and
noticed a typo in the man page.

>      Note that may be dangerous to filter on the source IP address or source
>      TCP/UDP port because either or both could easily be spoofed.
	"Note that may be" should probably be
	"Note that it may be".

>AUTHORS
>      Ugen J. S. Antsilevich,
>      Poul-Henning Kamp,
>      Alex Nash,
>      Archie Cobbs. API based upon code written by
>      Daniel Boulet for BSDI.
	I don't understand this. Should "API based upon code written
by Daniel Boulet for BSDI." all be one (separate) line? It's
confusing as written.

>HISTORY
>      ipfw first appeared in
>
>  FreeBSD                         July 20, 1996                               7
	Looks like the HISTORY line got truncated, unless it's
referring to the footer line....

	On a separate point, "ipfw show" as a regular user gets the
response "ipfw: socket: Operation not permitted". With sudo, it
works. If the ipfw command can only be used by root, this should
probably appear in the man page, and generate a clear error when run
as und<>0.

	Thanks for ipfw, and so much of Mac OS X.

						Chris Pepper
--
Chris Pepper:                   <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>;
Rockefeller U Computing Services:  <http://www.rockefeller.edu/>;