Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 14:26:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Shawn Rutledge <shawndr@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: soft updates and fsck in practice

Take a look at recent postings by Kirk to freebsd-arch on the topic of
background fsck.  Over the course of his last few commits, and upcoming
commits, he migrates to a model where fsck occurs in two phases: first, a
foreground phase which checks for clean flags and soft updates bits, and
which is very short for soft updates-enabled file systems.  Then, a
background fsck phase is initiated for file systems with soft updates to
garbage collect any resources in the file system that are disconnected
from the namespace, that might be left behind by a crash/failure when soft
updates is in use.  Initial support for this is now committed to the
FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT tree, but more commits to add support for this to the
boot process and fsck are coming soon.