Date:      Mon, 12 May 2008 22:55:07 -0400
From:      "Zaphod Beeblebrox" <zbeeble@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZFS and mmap() datapoint.

I don't know exactly where this fits in the discussion, but I was using
"ghost" v 14 to backup my XP box over SMB to a 7.0-RELEASE system using
ZFS.  After doing one backup, the second backup wouldn't proceed, so I
erased the backup files and started fresh.

The next attempt, I turned on the verify option in ghost.  It claimed that
the backup it was creating was corrupt.  So I upgraded the FreeBSD machine
to 7-STABLE.  Started the backup again, same problem.

So I checked into samba's options ... and it has an option that claims to
turn off the mmap() usage of the daemon.  It certainly slows the daemon, so
it's doing something.  Anyways... the backup was still corrupt.

Obviously... this is testing at a high layer.  Does the option in smb.conf
turn off the use of mmap().  Is that moot because C libraries might use
mmap() anyways?  Is ghost the culprit here?  I dunno.

The ZFS array does handle linear reads and writes of large media files
without detectable error.