Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:50:13 GMT
From:      Bruce Bauman <bbauman@icy.phrozen.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS swap questions

I want to build a medium-sized cluster of FreeBSD diskless clients
which swap over NFS to a single FreeBSD server. Yes, I know someone is
dying to tell me why this isn't a good idea. But I have to...

Anyway, I want each client to allocate a swapfile on the NFS server
on-the-fly and then swap to it. I DON'T want to pre-allocate swapfiles
for every possible client on the server. Can I just arrange my
rc.diskless environment so that I dd to swapfile.<my-ip-address> on
the server and then start swapping to it? How do I add the
just-created swapfile as swap on my client?

One more question: If all of my swapfiles live in a single partition,
do I want the partition to be mounted async and noatime? Any other
recommended tweaks for better performance?

Thanks for any help.

-- Bruce