Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:55:18 +0200 (MEST)
From:      hans@artcom.de (Hans Huebner)
To:        admin@caninet.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 12 G hard drive and FreeBSD

Robert,

In article <199804211959.PAA03545@caninet.com> you write:
>[...] have just
>got 4 BIGFOOT TX 12 G hard disks as well.

>My problem is that I can't figure out how to let FreeBSD know that it is 12
>G drives and not 8 G.

You need to get an updated wd driver which is able to access the drive
in LBA mode (in contrast to CHS mode, which is the default).  The wd
driver in 2.2.6-RELEASE is not LBA-capable.  I succeeded by merging the
LBA relevant changes to the wd driver from -current into 2.2.6-RELEASE
manually.  I'd be willing to share the patched driver (but I can't make
any guarantees about correctness or stability).

Also, you'll need to specify flags to the wd controller (in either
userconfig or the kernel configuration file).  See the discussion about
'best wdc flags' in the mailing list archives.

Good luck,
Hans