Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 19:14:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Drew Eckhardt <drew@plutotech.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel vs. 3com vs DEC chip network cards

In article <3.0.32.19990223163334.00692d68@advantinc.com> you write:
>Are there any reliability or performance issues on using one type over the
>other?

Some DEC chip + PHY combinations bogusly detect collisions when run in
full-duplex 100baseT mode.  The driver drops these packets on the floor,
the TCP code gets no ACK, and eventually things are retransmitted resulting
in "full duplex (autodetected or manually specified)" operation which has
best-case performance that's two orders of magnitude worse than "half duplex".

The Intel boards work well (read as both robust and fast), don't cost
much (I paid $45 a pop for my pair of 10/100 boards without wake-on-lan),
and get my vote.