Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 00:10:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@ecst.csuchico.edu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to update from FreeBSD 2.2.8 to RELENG_4

--0-991328629-963547035=:32138

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Andreas Klemm wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 01:55:50AM -0700, Sameer R. Manek wrote:
>> > Really a fresh install of 4.0, or soon 4.1 would be your best bet.
>>
>> If doing backup and restore of applications in /usr/local ...
>> Would they run after a fresh 4.1 installation ?
>
>It would work as well as they would if you did a source-level
>upgrade; specifically, some things dig into kernel memory and are thus
>fragile against kernel changes. But most things should just work if you
>install the compat22 libs.

I would generate a list of installed packages by doing:
ls /var/db/pkg > /backupmnt/packages.txt
Then backup any 2.2 software you have which cannot be installed from
ports/packages and install 4.1 on the machine.  Then I'd run that list
of installed packages through the attached perl script like so:
chmod 755 pkginst.pl && ./pkginst.pl < packages.txt
and you'll have all of your software back.

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying

--0-991328629-963547035=:32138

IyEvdXNyL2Jpbi9wZXJsDQokcGtnY21kID0gJy91c3Ivc2Jpbi9wa2dfYWRk
IC1ybic7DQp3aGlsZSAoJHBrZyA9IDxTVERJTj4pIHsNCgkkcGtnID1+IHMv
LS4rLy87DQogICAgcHJpbnQgYCRwa2djbWQgJHBrZ2A7DQp9DQo=
--0-991328629-963547035=:32138--