Date:      Sat, 17 Dec 1994 19:54:48 +0800 (HKT)
From:      John Beukema <jbeukema@HK.Super.NET>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <FreeBSD-questions@freefall.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Signal 11 when not root

I have a database application working under 2.0R with the kernel compiled
for SYSV Queues and shared memory.  The application works fine logged in
as root but exits with signal 11 segment violation as any other user.  I
have chmod 777 to all files in the directory, the directory itself, chown
<me> all files and the directory, chmod 777 the queue placeholders.

I do not understand signals well enough to find out what is wrong.  The
signal violation is picked by an err trap routine.  Does anyone know what
may be wrong.  Any ideas on how to debug it?  BYW gdb exits on signals
immediately.  Are there some other bits or flags not set that should be?

Thanks for the help
jbeukema

...just when I thought I was beginning to understand