Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 1996 14:17:25 +0100
From:      Michael Beckmann <petzi@apfel.de>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tyan Tomcat ? 256 MB RAM ? DIMMs ?

Hello,

I was considering the Tyan Tomcat mainboard for a machine with
more-than-average RAM. The mainboard manual claims it can accomodate 8 x 32
MB SIMMs, but I'm not sure if I believe that. Has anyone tried that out ?
32 MB SIMMs are usually double-sided. If it could accept 6 of the 32 MB
SIMMs, that would be OK for me, too.

What do all you people do who want 256 MB RAM in their machines ? Do you
use 64 MB PS/2 SIMMs ? These are a bit hard to get, and more expensive than
the comparable number of 32 MB SIMMs. I also haven't found a source of 64
MB EDO SIMMs at all, only FPM.

Anybody know of a decent mainboard that can accomodate at least 4 x 64 MB
DIMMs ? All the mainboards with DIMM sockets I know have no more than 2 of
them.

Cheers,

Michael