Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 03:15:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Process wedge in 'inode'

Mike Smith said:

> Just simultaneously checking out two copies of the kernel source using
> 'cvs co sys', I have an interesting situation:
>
> kingsford:~>ps axlwww
>   UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
>  1000  1359  1348   1 -14  0  1356  864 inode  D+    v1    0:06.84 cvs co sys
>  1000  1366   160   4 -14  0  1356  812 inode  D+    v2    0:06.77 cvs co sys
>
> Neither process is responding to signals, and neither can be killed.
> The rest of the system is running as normal...
>
> This is -current as of 971220.

Yep, as I have said, I broke -current, and *please* expect it to problematical.
The issues that I have been working are very complex and tedious, but the
end result will be advantageous beyond even what I had expected.  I am
within a few hours/days of commiting the corrected code, and please back up to
code before my commit.  I do have test suites that expose the problems, and
any usage of the erroneous code will lead to nowhere except frustration.

You'll have nothing but trouble with the code, including accumulation of
disk blocks, crashes, and file corruption.  Please do not use -current right
now.  I have been working 18Hrs/day on the stuff, even forgoing dates with
an extremely attractive female friend of mine, and the approach that I
am taking is the shortest path to a quality result.

I had posted a notice on the -current mailing list, once the problems were
discovered.  I'll post a notice on the -current mailing list when the
code is fixed.  Until then, please do not try to use -current, unless you
plan to re-newfs your filesystem anyway :-).