Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 15:23:44 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0R && AHA1540A == no go

In message <19981223000050.28179@uriah.heep.sax.de> J Wunsch writes:
: > I believe that the 1540A does not support residual calculating
: > CCB opcodes.
:
: I'm almost sure it doesn't.

It doesn't.  The old driver would use the residual codes if the card
was new enough, and the older, non-residual updating OPCODEs for the
older cards.

: >  So, you'd have to modify the driver to use these
: > opcodes on pre-historic devices.
:
: `these'?  (Sorry, which ones?)

To use the non-residual opcodes.

: IOW: under normal circumstances, is it likely that residuals are
: reported at all?  Or in case an adapter doesn't support them, can we
: just assume there's no residual (without big harm)?  I have no good
: clues about what a residual actual means other than `something was
: left over from an old request' or something like that...

The residuals aren't reported on the 1540A.  If you'd like to put code
to do that in the aha.c driver, I'd be happy to let it into the
driver.

: It would be too bad if i had to throw away an otherwise working
: controller that does its job well (well enough for the environment
: it's running in, remember it's a scratch machine).  I probably would
: stick with 2.2.x then, but that's a less optimal solution.

I'm too busy to do the coding, but would be happy to review changes
that others come up with.

Warner