Date:      Sun, 5 Dec 1999 12:54:37 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Homepage, take two.

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 10:39:02PM +0100, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> Hi you cluster fans. ;)
>
> I added some more stuff to the homepage for the cluster project at
> http://lucifer.bart.nl/~asmodai/projects/Hydra and I welcome feedback.
> I still have an 100 odd URL's to review which Eivind dumped on me, so
> expect to see the references page being extended slowly and steadily.

As I said on IRC: We should probably have descriptions for each URL.
I believe one URL with a description will probably have larger impact
than 10 URLs without descriptions.

> Does anyone know of an online dictionary like the OED or some other
> English dictionary in which I can look up some definitions of words?

Try the 'dict' port.

> Also, suggestions about the goals are also welcome so that we can
> clearly define what falls within and outside the scope of the project at
> hands.  We can also hint at making the things which fall outside the
> scope interesting to-do projects for others. =)
>
> I already added two goals which need some review.

I'm taking the freedom of quoting them here:
* To design a clear, consistent and good clustering system or
  foundation to make such a system possible on the three BSD's
  present.

I think this is too 'wishy-washy'.  It has very little punch.  I'll
give a rephrase below.

* To provide a working set of patches (or an entire source tree),
  which can be applied to certain versions of the BSD code bases
  released or in development, to create a working cluster node.

... and I think this isn't a goal as a such, it is just something we
will do.

Rephrase of the first listed goal above, with extensions:
1. Turn BSD into a 'hot' clustering environment.

   This is our primary goal.  In order to make this happen, we will
   need to set a number of other goals, and reach for those.  Below
   are suggestions for subgoals, which again will need to be refined
   to actually reach tasks to do.

1. Create a focus for BSD clustering discussion

2. Make it easy to set up BSD based clusters.

3. Make it common to set up BSD based clusters.

4. Make it natural to think of BSD when you want to set up a cluster.

5. Make it natural to think of BSD when you want to do research on
   clusters.

6. Make clusters a natural part of the 'toolchest' for BSD users.

7. Make clusters a part of the focus of the BSD developers.

I'll get back to more refined tasks shortly.

> Furthermore, what do we need to talk over and agree upon before we can
> unleash the hordes unto the project?  Eivind and me agreed that we need
> to have a least a decent foundation which cannot be argued about (except
> by very cluefull people) so that we can skip the long-winded discussion
> part and go straight on to the more interesting parts.

We need to have enough text that people
1) Understand what clusters are
2) Understand what high availability is (at least to a degree)
3) Understand why they would want clusters
4) Understand where there are 'leverage points' where they can
   contribute to make a maximal difference
5) Understand why the route chosen forward (which we need to choose,
   at least to a degree) has been chosen

Eivind.