Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 02:36:35 +0400
From:      "Valeriy E. Ushakov" <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
To:        freebsd-i18n@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk: Who still uses FreeBSD and why?]

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

FYI.

SY, Uwe

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

To: linux-utf8@nl.linux.org
Subject: Who still uses FreeBSD and why?
Date: 	Thu, 31 May 2001 21:29:22 +0100
From: Markus Kuhn <Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Sender: owner-linux-utf8@nl.linux.org

Bram Moolenaar <Bram@moolenaar.net> wrote:
> I'm on FreeBSD 4.2.

*BSD has probably the worst locale support of all Unix variants
currently on the market, lagging several years behind what other OSes
offer.

I strongly recommend developers of i18n-related applications to to dump
their FreeBSD installation asap and get a Red Hat, SuSE or Debian
distribution installed instead, all of which are based on glibc 2.2 and
have not only state-of-the-art locale support but lot of other goodies.
I can think of no good reason today to stick with FreeBSD's antique C
library and it seems not on the horizon that the FreeBSD community will
also move to glibc any time soon.

At this point, the use of FreeBSD becomes really counterproductive.
Portable programming becomes now routinely hindered by the argument that
this and that nice X/Open, C99, etc. feature is available on any major
Unix except for FreeBSD.

The occasional FreeBSD user that I still run into usually has this
fundamental belief or idea that there is something inherently better
about the BSD kernel than Linux. There is this ideologic notion that BSD
is nicely structured, clean and academic, whereas Linux is an ugly dirty
hack, a notion that originated from the earliest history of Linux almost
a decade ago. But when challenged to back this up with any data, the
FreeBSD folks I know quickly admit that they actually haven't compared
the systems for several years at least and are unaware of the incredible
amount of work that was put into Linux in the mean time (repeated
complete clean and nice rewrites of very major subsystems like the
networking stack, etc.) [Warning: my praise for the Linux kernel
excludes the control function parser of the console driver ;-]

> You are probably going to suggest I install Linux instead...

The advantage of Linux is that it has managed to become a major standard
platform, second only to M$-Windows. I expect it seriously to overtake
the Microsoft platforms within the next 10 years, simply due to its
stability.

> I still haven't heard a reason why setlocale() needs to be case-sensitive.

It isn't in glibc.

Markus

Email: mkuhn at acm.org,  WWW: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>;

-