Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:11:29 +0200
From:      Andy Sporner <sporner@nentec.de>
To:        Alex <freebsd-reply@akruijff.dds.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newbie

Alex wrote:

>Hello/Beste freebsd-cluster,
>
>Hi i'm new to the list. I noticed the cluster project when i looked at
>the mail list. Can you give me any pointers on where to look? Is the
>cluster project ready for use?
>
>I have to setup/build a cluster for my university. The main purpose of
>the cluster is to show the cluster properties to other students. We
>got a number of sparc64 computers available for this task. (I'm
>considering early use of FreeBSD 5.0)

First I am not clear if there is a specific "Project".  There is the
cluster software
I have been working on, which is failover software, and then there is
the Beowulf
type--which you have to get somewhere else.

As I see it they are probably different ports.

If you want failover,  check here: http://www.sporner.com/freebsdclusters

otherwise, check for a Beowulf port.

I still intend to write a futures paper for the next version (including
process
swapping across machines--towards where VMS clusters are).

Andy