Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 2013 09:20:20 -0400
From:      Julio Merino <julio@meroh.net>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-testing@freebsd.org, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@netbsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Getting rid of the ATF tools

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Julio Merino <julio@meroh.net> wrote:
>> OK.  Note, however, that the entries in OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc are
>> _outside_ of any MK* conditionals.  Is there any case where they'd be
>> ignored?  (curiosity)
>
> It's cleanliness and consistency more than anything else as the tools
> are being yanked (and I assume aren't coming back ever :D..). Adding
> in logic to check for commands seems unnecessary as make does a
> reasonable job with this already.

Change done.  I've also fixed share/man/ to not install some unneeded
manual pages and done some more cleanups to my patch.

> On the plus side you're getting rid of bmake-isms which will make
> moving away from bmake a possibility in the future. I am against the
> fact that ATF/Kyua/etc can't easily be backported without the mess
> that's involved with converting the src tree over to bmake. It's
> already made my life more annoyingly painful than necessary.

I don't understand what the issue with bmake is.  Neither ATF nor Kyua
use make for anything -- and that's the whole point of having a tool
that implements the runtime engine for the tests!

The only place where bmake is used is in the NetBSD src tree to build
the tests... so: unless you want to copy verbatim the bsd.test.mk from
NetBSD and the various Makefiles from src/tests/ into FreeBSD, there
shouldn't be any issue.  FWIW, FreeBSD's and NetBSD's build systems
are so different already that attempting to copy Makefiles verbatim
isn't gonna work anyway :-/

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv