Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 10:27:45 +0100 (BST)
From:      Tim Steele <tjfs@tadpole.co.uk>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Great stuff so far

> > I still don't know how you managed to cram so much onto the install floppy!
>
> It's a secret.  :-)

Well, it's damn clever, and (IMHO) a USP compared with all the other
Unixes for the PC out there.  (Why do there have to be so many?  I
guess purely in terms of number of machines Linux is winning, which is
a pity as I prefer Berkeley.)

> Did you reconfigure the system to use the proper parameters for your
> ethernet card?  Do you have the rebuilt RELEASE floppy? (I see you're on a
> 3com card...)

a) no, how would I do that?  (This is an install from scratch)

b) Rebuilt?  It's the one from 2.1.5-RELEASE/floppies.

Okay, I'm confused.  8-)

Here's a further piece of data; with patience, I now get as far as

  Extracting bin into / directory...

  1%

  13140 bytes read from bin dist, chunk  1 of 69 @ 1.0 KB/sec.

where it sticks.  I've tried several times with different download
sites but (suspiciously) it always sticks at 13140.  I've also used
etherfind to see what's going on... after it's stuck, you see the
occasional ftp-data packet from the download site to the PC, but
that's it.

Any ideas?

Regards

Tim