Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 15:49:47 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (Dennis)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The view from here (was Re: ISDN Compression Load on CPU)

David G writes...

>>Most of this is your own fault, for buying cheap unknown cards,
>>discouraging and ridiculing commercial vendors for charging for
>>things that are worth it and not giving away their work,  and using
>>software thats been slapped together by someone who doesnt have
>>enough time to spend on it to make it really work well.
>
>   Jordan's talking about other quality issues, like a poorly designed bus and
>rail design that allows for cards to become unseated fairly easily and the
>general lack of quality with 99.9% of the motherboards on the market. In this
>case, I'm refering to poor Q/A at the factory (bad cache ram, etc), poor
>BIOSes, etc. ...and then there's interoperability problems between various
>cards with various motherboards. This is one advantage that Sun machines have
>that PCs will never have - all the hardware is pretty much made by one vendor
>and this cuts down the interoperability/reliability problems dramatically.
>For those of us that come from minicomputer backgrounds (DEC PDP and VAX),
>it's all too obvious to us where the shortcomings are in PC hardware.

Granted...but it isnt an impossible task to find the good products. A router
sitting
in the corner isnt going to have cards pop out, and if your building/selling
routers
obviously you need to do you homework. We're talking about routing a few Mbits
per second  here...theres not a lot going on that the hardware has to be
perfect.

dennis

Emerging Technologies, Inc.      http://www.etinc.com

Synchronous Communications Cards and Routers For
Discriminating Tastes. 56k to T1 and beyond. Frame
Relay, PPP, HDLC, and X.25 for BSD/OS, FreeBSD
and LINUX