Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:12:46 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Ceri Davies <ceri@freebsd.org>, Brad Davis <so14k@so14k.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New firewall section (was: Re: HEADS UP: doc/ slush begins)

On 2004-09-20 17:16, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> On 2004-09-20 15:07, Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net> wrote:
> > If you're available now, and would like to work at this, please do.
>
> I'm at work, so there's an upper limit of the time I can spend on
> `other' tasks, but I'll try to send you a review until later tonight :)

I think this needs a fair bit of work, but if I find the time to sit down and
reorganize, copy, paste, merge and test all of the changes I have in mind,
I'll reply again later tonight.  Right now, all I have is a comparative TOC
for the two sections (before and after the patch submitted by Brad).

OLD LAYOUT                              | NEW LAYOUT
========================================|======================================

+ Introduction                          | + Introduction

+ What Is a Firewall?                   | + Firewall Rule Set Types
  - Packet Filtering Routers            |
  - Proxy Servers                       | + Firewall Software Applications

+ What does IPFW allow me to do?        | + OpenBSD's PF Firewall

+ Enabling IPFW on FreeBSD              | + The IPFILTER (IPF) Firewall
                                        |   - Enabling IPF
+ Configuring IPFW                      |   - Kernel Options
  - Altering the IPFW Rules             |   - Available rc.conf Options
  - Listing the IPFW Rules              |   - IPF
  - Flushing the IPFW Rules             |   - IPFSTAT
  - Clearing the IPFW Packet Counters   |   - IPMON
                                        |   - IPMON Logging
+ Example Commands for IPFW             |   - The Format of Logged Messages
                                        |   - Building the Rule Script
+ Building a Packet Filtering Firewall  |   - IPF Rule Sets
                                        |   - IPF Rule Syntax
+ IPFW Overhead and Optimization        |     . ACTION
                                        |     . IN-OUT
                                        |     . OPTIONS
                                        |     . SELECTION
                                        |     . PROTO
                                        |     . SRC_ADDR/DST_ADDR
                                        |     . PORT
                                        |     . TCP_FLAG
                                        |     . STATEFUL
                                        |   - Stateful Filtering
                                        |   - Inclusive Rule set Example
                                        |   - NAT
                                        |   - IPNAT
                                        |   - IPNAT Rules
                                        |   - How NAT Works
                                        |   - Enabling IPNAT
                                        |   - NAT for a Very Large LAN
                                        |     . Assigning Ports to Use
                                        |     . Using a pool of public
                                        |       addresses
                                        |   - Port Redirection
                                        |   - FTP and NAT
                                        |     . IPNAT Rules
                                        |     . IPNAT FTP Filter Rules
                                        |     . FTP NAT Proxy Bug
                                        |
                                        | + IPFW
                                        |   - Enabling IPFW
                                        |   - Kernel Options
                                        |   - /etc/rc.conf Options
                                        |   - The IPFW Command
                                        |   - IPFW Rule Sets
                                        |     . Rule Syntax
                                        |       . CMD
                                        |       . RULE#
                                        |       . ACTION
                                        |       . Logging
                                        |       . Selection
                                        |     . Stateful Rule Option
                                        |     . Logging Firewall Messages
                                        |     . Building Rule Script
                                        |     . Stateful Ruleset
                                        |     . An Example Inclusive Ruleset
                                        |     . An Example NAT and Stateful
                                        |       Ruleset

________________________________________|______________________________________

It's obvious with just a quick glance that the proposed patch contains a hell
of a lot more material than the original chapter.  It also removes some parts
that I consider useful[1]; it lacks a fair bit in the area of organization and
presentation of the topics discussed[2]; it contains several forward
references[3] and pushes with a bit more strength than I'd like for an
``inclusive'' type of firewall for all FreeBSD installations.

Most of these, especially the last point, are things I've discussed with
Joseph J. Barbish in the past on -questions and privately.  Now that this has
finally (yeah, it was abou time!) started being integrated to the Handbook,
I'd like to ask for approval from Joseph, Brad (who put a tremendous amount of
work in this already), Ceri and our translators to hold back for a couple of
days until I reshape this a bit.

It's great stuff.  I most certainly want it in the Handbook for 5.3-RELEASE.
But it's going to take at least a couple of days until I have something to
show you all, and I'm not sure if asking for a delay so close to the tagging
of the doc/ tree for 5.3-RELEASE is reasonable.

What do you all think?  Do we have the time to spend a few days organizing,
enhancing and bringing this new wonderful piece of documentation into the
Handbook?  It's a big diff (more than 3000 lines now) and I'm a bit worried
the translators won't really have the time to work on this even if it goes in
CVS tonight.

- Giorgos

PS: I don't have Joseph's email address anymore.  Can someone (i.e. Brad)
forward this to him, in case he's not subscribed to the -doc list.

----- Notes -----

[1] I'm referring to the IPFW overhead section and the introductory material
of the original text which is IMHO in a better shape and contains a lot more
details about what this section is about, what a firewall is and why it's
useful.

[2] The sub-sections and sub-sub-sections of IPF and IPFW seem to be just a
mixed listing of concepts, commands, tools and ideas.  I'd prefer something
that resembled `theoretical background' near the beginning and a `task driven'
list at the end of each different firewall-type with a lot of the common
theory stuff moved as far up as possible.

[3] For instance, in the IPF sub-section ``Building the Rule Script'' is
before the explanation of what a ``rule set'' is.  There are a few more, but I
have to give a good look at this before I decide what's in the right place and
what is not.