Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 12:23:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        julian@current1.whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new gcc

> Maybe it did happen momentarily and you missed it?
>
> seriously I laugh so much about the differnce in the way
> Americans use the word "momentarily" from the way it is used
> in OZ (and UK too I believe)
>
> for the Americans thinking
> "Huh?"
> We use the word Momentarily to mean "FOR a moment" , not "In a moment"
> so now interpret "The train will be leaving momentarily"
> and "Gcc2.7 will be implimented momentarily" in this new light and see
> why it breaks me up so much..

Americans use "momentarily" that way as well; we just derive it from
context.

It is not nearly so funny as the misuse of "moot".

Everyone says "it's a moot point" to mean "it's not worthy of discussion"
when they are trying to sound intellectual.  Look it up -- "moot" means
"subject to discussion".

There are lots of examples where context modifies of English words
in "American English".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---