Date:      Sat, 03 Jun 1995 13:15:13 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Temptation <temp@temptation.interlog.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xfree

>Yes I tried that. No go. when I just mark Xfree in the custom
>install keeps telling that I never did.  so I try the Xfree user. it then
>tells me that it can't mount /dos, that it is already, and when I umount
>it still gives me error.

I guess this is another bug on Jordans list. :)

>> cat * | rsh freebsd_host "cd /; tar xvfz -"
>>
>> You'll have to setup the .rhost file correctly of course, but it should
>> work.
>whats a .rhost file? and am I suppose to type that on the machine that
>storing the files, or the FreeBSD machine?

.rhosts files allow remote users login without giving a password.  I just
found out that we don't have a man page describing the format, but it is
fairly simple:

Fully.qualified.hostname username

So if you wanted me to be able to login to your account, you would create
a $HOME/.rhosts file with the single line:

freefall.cdrom.com gibbs

In general, .rhosts are very insecure things, and you should use some other
authentification scheme like kerberos, but this will allow you to invoke
commands remotely like the rsh (remote shell) command I gave above.  The
whole command line should be run from the machine where the distribution
files are.

>> What programs or functionality do you miss in FreeBSD that you have in
>> Linux?
>>
>> I know you've already said a lot in this area, but how would you
>> improve the installation program?

>I'll answer these two questions later :) want to think about it.
>I know one thing, pressing the arrows keys in Linux shell gives me the
>old comands that I typed, FreeBSD gives me ^[ things, I had this problem
>with BSDI 1.1, had to keep setting stty erase etc...., but 2.0 fixed that
>problem.

This is under bash correct?  Are you logging in with the "cons25" terminal
type on the console?  It should work.  It does for me under tcsh and bash.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1