Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 07:53:33 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
Cc:        i18n@FreeBSD.ORG, audit@FreeBSD.ORG, bsd-locale@hauN.org
Subject:   Re: CFR: ISO_* -> ISO-* locale renaming

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 08:56:54 +0900, Noriyuki Soda wrote:

> The existing standard (ISO8859-1) is reasonable.
> There is no reason not to use the name.

Yes, there _is_ that reason. In your case nl_langinfo(CODESET) returns
_illegal_ and unusable MIME character set so you can't use it f.e. in mail
exchange or any other MIME format compatible application. So, you need
conversion table between illegal and legal character sets in case you
suggest. I am strongly against such practice. Compatibility reasons
weights very small comparing to that.

> That avoids benefit to use IANA registry.
>
> If MIME charset name can be just used as codeset name like Linux,
> certainly it has its benefit. But if it cannot be used, why do you
> want to use IANA registry at all?

Currently IANA registry codeset can be used in MIME applications as is and
it is main benefit of choosing IANA and main X11 disadvantage.

About case insensitive and aliased names at whole as you ask: this must be
implemented in one direction only, i.e. ideally locale code must
understand _any_ codeset, including X11 one, but nl_langinfo(CODESET) must
return preferred MIME name only. Since we currently not implement both
this features, we need to use exactly what nl_langinfo(CODESET) returns,
i.e. preferred MIME name.

> It seems their reply is not consistent, is it?
> I've asked same question to another OpenGroup list
> <cs-registry@opengroup.org>, and its reply is follows:

> : I want to let you know that we have received your email.
> : At this point, I don't know the answer to your question,
> : but am trying to see if someone else within The Open Group
> : can help you.
> :
> : We will get back to you within the next couple of days.
>
> How about waiting for her answer for a while?

Ok.

> So, your proposal is not only incompatible with commercial UNIXes,
> but also incompatible with Linux. Mmmm, how about using X11 name instead?

I explain my position about multi-names a bit earlier in this
message. Currently such code is not implemented.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
http://ache.pp.ru/