Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 17:21:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers, ponds!lakes.water.net!rivers
Subject:   sio "weirdness" solved...

Ok - I finally got something reliably working (on a 386dx-33 at
2.1.5.)

The problem was I was using an AST4port clone card in "compatibility"
mode.  (Compatibility was supposed to deliver interrupts correctly;
bet it didn't :-) ).  This was a card I bought in 1990...

Anyway, when I dug up an *ancient* serial card, replaced the 8250
with a 16550 (one that I ripped off of the 4-port clone), everything
worked *beautifully*!

Also, when I used the AST 4-port clone card the way it was designed
(not in "compatibility" mode, but with the COM_MULTIPORT driver
configured properly) - things worked there just fine as well (not
a single lock-up.)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

	- Dave Rivers -