Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 01:29:06 +0200
From:      "Jozef Baum" <InfoSol@pandora.be>
To:        <newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Trying to keep up in a fast changing world

Hello,

Yes, yet another newbie who would like to share some first experiences and
questions with you.

Late May I started with FreeBSD, reading the general information available
on www.nl.freebsd.org (the nearest mirror site, as I live in Belgium -
please excuse me for my mistakes in English, which is not my native tongue).

I was happy to see 2.2.6 was relatively new and ordered the 4 CD set at
Walnut Creek. I got it only after 3 weeks, because I paid with my credit
card, but for overseas orders they wait until they have cashed the money
before shipping the product !

I then started to learn about FreeBSD with the Handbook and installing the
operating system several times.

The first time, it didn't work, because I had disabled the sysconsole driver
(nobody had told me it was required, and there was no device called
"sysconsole" on my PC's hardware list :-)).

The second time, I got the system up and running, so I continued with the
Handbook's chapter 3 and read about the info files, which I didn't have
online because I had choosen a "normal user" setup. At that time, I had no
idea about how I could add the info files, so to me the only workaround was
to start over installing FreeBSD and choose "everything".

You see, some things may seem obvious to advanced users, but not to newbies

As I unfortunately can't spend much time on FreeBSD and the Handbook seems
to be work in progress, I print it out in small parts in order to have
always the latest update. This leads to my first question about the
Handbook: how can I know that some previous part I already studied has been
updated, so that I can print it out again and keep my hardcopy of the
Handbook up to date? Will I see a message about it in the announce mailing
list?

Now I felt a little bit sad to see the 2.2.6 version I just bought is
already an old version, because 2.2.7 has been released. How to keep up with
something that evolves so fast? A new version gets released long before I
could study the previous one! I know I could just go on with 2.2.6, but then
comes my second question: what about the Handbook on the website? For how
long will it cover the 2.2.6 version I have, instead of the newer 2.2.7?

Greetings,

jozef.baum@advalvas.be

P.S. - Yes, I know, I composed and sent this message with Microsoft's
Internet Explorer, but I feel it will take some more time before I get my
FreeBSD system connected to the Internet.