Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 1996 01:12:22 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hang in the sc0 probe...

On Fri, 16 Aug 1996, Dennis wrote:

> >	HI!
> >
> >I have a problem with one of our machines. It used to be a FreeBSD
> >file/printer server with uptimes ~ several months (all terminated by
> >typing reboot). Now today I had a real sever need for a graphics card
> >(actually, not me, but that changes nothing) and silly me! I shut it
> >down, powered it down and took the card from it for ~ 1/2 hour. After
> >putting the card back, it no longer boots up - it hangs after the line
> >probing sc0... Everything else is probed OK, hard discs are found, etc.
> >
> >When booting from the 2.1.0-RELEASE boot.flp, it starts to look for the
> >sc0 in the beginning and also hangs.
> >
> >What thing on the earth could be causing such a pehaviour?
>
> Is there a keyboard in the machine? I've sent the fix for that in a few times...
> and eventually gave up.

The presence of keyboard/absence of keyboard doesn't change anything. No
matter whetever the keyboard is pluuged in or not, it just displays the line
sc0: VGA color, <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>

and just dies. If I disable that line, it displays

sco: disbaled and dies aswell. Perhaps it is not something in the sc0
probe that kills it but something emmediately after that? What comes
after the sc0 probe?

	Sander