Date:      Fri, 24 May 1996 12:56:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, fred@lightside.com, adam@lightside.com
Subject:   Re: Mac Linux:  Nothing to worry about :-)

> 1) No shared libraries.  None!  These are ELF binaries by the way.
> Everything is statically linked.  For X programs this is particularly
> disgusting, e.g. xlogo is a 1.2MB executable.  I can only guess that
> either a limitation of Linux's ELF support or a limitation of the GNU
> development tools prevented the developers from porting shared lib support
> to PowerPC for this release.  I plan to inquire further about this
> oversight since the PowerMac I tested on is short of disk space, and I
> consider shared libs a _necessity_ for any modern Unix.

I have had to hack the GNU utilities for PIC.  The changes are not
significant, but there is a requirement for not flushing the cache.
I typically handle this by post-processing the object files, since
the difference is one bit and the target value.

> The lack of shared libraries, and the decision to bundle in crap like
> Emacs, however, seem unexcusable, even for an early developer release.

Emacs is the default editor for the Linux PPC PowerStac port as well;
with a broken console raw mode, it is, in fact, unusable without an
external terminal.

> There is one fortunate thing out of all this:  The OSF and Apple-developed
> source code to the Mach kernel and Linux server are all freely available
> and covered under a standard BSD-style copyright! Whoohoo!  This means a
> Free/NetBSD port to PowerMac is now feasible!  Unfortunately I lack the
> PPC assembly language and kernel hacking knowledge to undertake such a
> beast, however I sincerely hope somebody else (Terry?) decides to take
> this on.

There are a number of Apple 6100's for sale for ~$2000 in one of the
news groups.  I'm going to check Circuit City for pricing this
weekend, and see how it compares (they have a $150 off sale on all
computers).  If they get as cheap as a BeBox anywhere, I'll probably
grab one (yeah, that's what I need, another computer. 8-)).

> The question is:  Would it be best to build a BSD "personality"
> server on top of a Mach kernel, as MkLinux is built, or scrap that idea
> and build a traditional BSD kernel?  OSF claims the advantage of Mach
> lies in SMP, real-time, and portability (port the microkernel to a new
> architecture, then simply recompile the Linux server), but obviously this
> is going to use more RAM and CPU than a "native" BSD kernel.  Comments?

If I do anything at all with the PowerMac, it will be a native port;
the reasoning here is that the unified VM/Buffer cache and other
advantages are unavailable in Mach.  I also have a model for running
x86 ABI modules for running things like NetScape under non-x86
processors, which would pretty much see a x4 slowdown on a hosted
OS (like a Mach multiserver, if I started with that code).

I would also like to share the PCI architecture bits, as well as
other platform independent architectural attributes between systems.
I still have some issues left over from the DEV Alpha days here;
the Motorolla Ultra 603/604 (PowerStac) machines use a more
traditional PC architecture, but the Mac PCI is not bridged from
ISA (just like the Alpha PCI), so the code needs to be dual-mode
-- it isn't.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---