Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 17:33:21 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: benchmark

As Martin Cracauer wrote:

While i basically agree with you...

> >A customer of mine that I do consulting for is moving some of their services
> >like mail, web, and DNS from an ISP to their site. They plan to do all of
> >these on NT servers (even DNS -- bleh!).
>
> First of all, DNS on NT is said to be nothing else than completly
> broken.

I can't confirm this.  We've been evaluation their DNS server recently
since one of our customers went to DNS, and they already have at least
one NT server at each of their locations.  Admittedly, we've only
tested it with a fairly small database by now.  At least, they didn't
change the database file format, so you're able to hand-edit the files
if it scares you too much to click a thousand buttons in order to
globally add yet another MX to all your mail hosts in the zone.

The worst of this beast was as is everything in this class of
operating system: i had to get up from my chair, and walk over to the
console of that machine in order to add a new entry into their DNS
database.  Fortunately, the machine is only 20 meters away from me.
If it were 20 km, i would have been embarrased (since i've been
getting used to maintain machines throughout the globe without the
need of a car or plane).

--
cheers, J"org