Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 20:40:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marty Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Success with X

Well.  I feel a little silly having made such a big deal about installing
X.  It was excruciatingly simple.
But if it will help any other newbies out there, this is what I did:

1.  Downloaded the following files from
    ftp.xfree86.org/current/binaries/FreeBSD-2.2.x  :
    - preinst.sh
    - postinst.sh
    - X332bin.tgz
    - X332cfg.tgz
    - X332doc.tgz
    - X332man.tgz
    - X332fnts.tgz
    - X332lib.tgz
    - X332set.tgz
    - X332vg16.tgz
    and the specific server for my video card: X332Mach64.tgz

2.  Created the following directory: /usr/X11R6
3.  Added /usr/X11R6/bin to the PATH variable in my /.profile
4.  Unpacked the tarballs in the /usr/X11R6 directory with the
    following command: gzip -dc X332xxx.tgz | tar xfB -
5.  Ran XF86Setup
6.  Filled in the blanks regarding my monitor, then ran xvidtune to
    fine-tune the settings.
7.  started an X session (startx).  Lo and behold, it worked!

Now I am trying to install other window mangers (fvwm and fvwm95) to
see what I can do with them.  I didn't have any success last night, but
it was late and my mind was starting to wander...

Anyway, like I said, it was a very simple process.  Hopefully in the
future the FAQ or Handbook can include more concise instructions to
help people get started.

As for the window mangers, I will see what freebsd-questions has to say
about my specific error, and keep you posted.

Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
                     - Lord Acton, Letter