Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 1996 14:25:08 +0100 (BST)
From:      Tim Steele <tjfs@tadpole.co.uk>
To:        davidg@root.com
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Great stuff so far

> >Second update: even when loading from a local server (idle
> >SPARCstation LX on the same 10baseT hub) I only get 1.3KB/sec!!
> >
> >This is bad, yes?
>
>    Yes, it's bad. This almost certainly points to an interrupt problem. When
> interrupts aren't working, the 3c509 driver has a one second timer that will
> still allow data to trickle in slowly. Make sure that the kernel and your card
> agree on the interrupt and that there are no other cards in the system that
> may be conflicting with it.

That could be it.

The card doesn't have any jumpers on it so it's a bit difficult to see
what could need configuring.  It's a 3Com EtherLink III 3C509B.  I'll
have a rootle around to see if I can find a floppy in case it's one of
those irritating cards which need to be soft configured ... ??

<your advice here> 8-)

As far as reconfiguring the kernel is concerned, as this is my first
install I don't have a running BSD system to compare it with, so I
guess I can't do that.

Any chance of supporting the 3C589 in a future release?  or can I do
this myself by constructing a new install disk (once I've got it working)?

Thanks

Tim